Tuesday, March 20, 2001 | By: Drotuno

An Angel's Promise Chapter 34

CHAPTER 34
BELLA
"You know what this means, don't you?" Kevin asked, as we all took our seats at the table closest to the stage. "If our boys go third tonight, they'll be on stage at midnight."
I chuckled, taking a seat on the left side of the table. Kevin had opted to come with us, but Adrian was unsure of himself in the presence of this many humans, so he'd decided to bow out.
"I'll miss my kiss," he pouted, laying his head on my shoulder.
"Oh," I groaned in sympathy, pressing my cheek to the top of his head. "I'm sorry, Kev. Why didn't you stay with Adrian?"
"I never miss this shit," he laughed, giving a fist bump to a chuckling Rose. "Heavy E and the boys are the best. Plus, my girls are singing." He grinned, shoving me lightly with his shoulder.
"Shit, don't remind me," I sighed, rolling my eyes.
"Mm, but this is so worth it," Alice chuckled wickedly, her eyes gleaming with mischief.
"Totally," Rose agreed with a grin. "We surely can survive one song, just to hear them sing Pour Some Sugar on Me."
I laughed, my head falling back. Jasper and Edward hated the fact that we were making them sing that song. But the words were too fun, too sexy to resist. And I couldn't wait, because ever since the first time Emmett had made them practice that song, we'd wanted to hear it live and on stage. It was all about which of our boys sang which particular words.
I took a look around at the club—or warehouse, really. It had been converted into a night club. There were seats filled everywhere. To my right was a table filled with men in their mid to late twenties. They had already spotted us, whispering amongst themselves about buying us drinks and getting laid. While they were handsome in their own right, they had nothing on our husbands.
On the other side of the table, to Alice's left, there was a fairly large group of loud women that were pushing two tables together. They already looked drunk. The tallest of the group seemed to be the leader, and she was already swaying on her feet and slurring her words.
I snorted, looking at Rose from the corner of my eye, but her attention was on the waitress taking our order. "We'll have whatever he's having," she smirked, pointing to Kevin, who was grinning from ear to ear.
"Aw, now...you're just trying to get me drunk," he teased, giving her a wink once he'd ordered a Cosmo and the waitress went on to the next table. "'Cause you know I'll drink whatever you don't."
"Exactly," I laughed, "so drink up, buddy."
I knew we were being watched, because I felt it. I knew that the men at the next table were debating between the five of them whether or not to buy us more drinks. And it wasn't like Kevin's presence prohibited them from doing this, because he screamed gay man, but they were nervous.
But their nerves were slowly taken over with liquid courage.
Alice grimaced when the first guy stood up, tapping me on the shoulder.
"Hey, beautiful," he slurred, giving me a wink. "I'm Darren. Why don't you let me and my boys here—" he waved his hand so dramatically that he almost hit his friend in the face, "—buy the next round?"
Okay, first of all...no one called me "beautiful," except for Edward. So maybe, I came off a bit strong.
"Do we look that needy?" I snorted, looking at him incredulously. He was dressed okay, but his breath wreaked of onions and gin. "I mean, seriously?"
"No, no," he said, taking a tentative step back. "We just..."
"Well, that's good," Rose sighed, giving him a hard look, "because I'm pretty sure we would've asked if we'd needed something."
"No, we wouldn't have," Kevin snorted loudly, sipping his drink innocently.
I chuckled darkly, hiding behind my hair and kicking his foot under the table.
Darren sat back down, getting razzed by all of his pals at the table, but Alice snorted, rolling her eyes. "That won't be the last time. They've all made a decision to try."
"Fan-fucking-tastic," Rose and I sighed.
"If it's a big deal, we can go backstage..." Kevin started, looking between us. "Heavy E will be pissed that he touched you."
"He only tapped my shoulder, Kev. We're fine. If they try again, then we'll deal with it," I stated, knowing Kevin was right, but I didn't want trouble. I especially didn't want Edward to start potential trouble.
The first act came onto the stage, and the men were forgotten for the moment. It was a single guy with just an acoustic guitar. He was really handsome, with strong, sharp features and a mellow voice. He sang what I can only guess were original compositions, but they were really nice.
After he was finished, the lights came up a bit and the music played over speakers. I could hear the scuffling of feet and instruments behind the curtain. The next act must have been a band.
The four of us laughed and joked, ignoring the looks we were getting from the women on Alice's side of the table and the whispers from my side of the table. And by this time, Kevin was getting a little...well, tipsy. And protective.
"I'm totally getting Emmett...or Heavy E," Kevin said, starting to slip from his bar stool when the boys at the next table ordered a round of drinks for us. This time, it was without permission. They just did it.
"I will...without shame...hold you captive to that seat," I whispered fiercely to him. "Kevin, leave it. I know you want to protect us. We don't need it. Trust me when I tell you that we truly don't need it. But if you get Edward, then there will be huge trouble. Okay?"
"She's right, Kev," Alice sighed, her little nose wrinkling. "And switch to soda, sweetie. You need to sober up, I think."
"Okay, okay," he whined, raising his hands in defeat.
The next man to stand up picked the wrong girl to hit on. When his hand landed on Rose's chair, I had to take her drink from her hand in order for her not to shatter it right there in her grip on the table top.
"The name's Vince," he said confidently, sticking his hand out to her.
I had to stifle my laugh at the look on her face as her eyes trailed up his arm to his face. She raised one single, deadly eyebrow at him. "Congratulations," she muttered wryly, staring him down.
He finally blinked away, but quickly recovered. "Listen, why don't we push our tables together, so that we can chat. I'd like..."
"No." Her voice held a finality that hung heavy in the air.
He wasn't really listening, but his boys just melted into hysterics behind him. I closed my eyes and sighed when another fool got up to join him, this time standing between me and Kevin.
"Ha ha, Vinnie," he chuckled, "shot down. Hey, I'm Blane..."
"God damn, some men can't take a hint," the tall woman from the next table said loud enough that we all looked up at her.
I just realized, the women had been watching the entire exchange, and I couldn't help but chuckle when she shot me a wink. I turned to Blane just as he was about to place his hand completely down onto my shoulder. "If you touch me, you'll walk back to your table with a bloody stump, pal. I'm not kidding," I said, looking up at him as his hand hovered in midair. "Pick a different table. Pick different girls. But step away from me. Now."
I was not going to be touched. Just because I had my thoughts shielded from Edward in the back, didn't mean he couldn't see it from every other angle around me. Luckily, I'd thought to shield our table, just because we wanted to indulge in a little "girl" talk with Kevin.
"Blane?" Kevin cracked the hell up. "That's not a name. That's an appliance."
"Thank you, Duckie from Pretty in Pink," Rose snorted into a big laugh.
"No worries, princess," Blane said, a wry, cheesy smile on his face. He lowered his arm slowly, though, keeping his eye on me.
"No, she's the princess," Kevin stated, pointing to Alice. "Now, shoo. Go away. You kinda smell funny, Blane."
Both Vince and Blane walked back to their table, defeated. They weren't teased as much this time.
When the lights dimmed again for the next act, Rose turned to me. "We're singing a different song tonight. Text Edward."
"Sure," I smirked, pulling out my phone.
B: Hello, handsome. Your girls are changing their song choice. We're going to sing the other song.
E: Whatever you say, beautiful.
I huffed to myself, thinking that was better. "Beautiful" coming from Edward was ever so much better. I looked down at my phone when he texted me again.
E: Is there a problem, love?
B: Nothing we can't handle.
E: Are you sure?
B: Promise. Are you going to kiss me at midnight? ;)
I smirked, hoping I'd changed the subject quick enough to distract him.
E: Hmm...we'll see.
I fought my smirk and the urge to keep bantering with him, because the band onstage was pretty damn good. They played a total of three songs, the last of which earned them whistles and cheers from our table and the table full of girls next to us.
Finally, it was time for our boys. As we waited for them to set up behind the curtain, we ignored Darren and his boys behind us, who were at this point, almost obnoxious. And talking loudly. About us. Explicitly.
Edward finally heard it.
E: I thought you said that there wasn't a problem, Bella.
I grimaced, showing the girls and answering him quickly.
B: It's fine. AND under control. Please trust me.
E: You...I trust. Others...not so much.
B: Relax, my sexy, over protective man...and hurry up and sing for me.
Above all the chatter, music and clinking glasses, I heard Edward's deep chuckle from just on the other side of the curtain. I smiled, biting my bottom lip and thinking to him, Will you please get your hot ass on stage?
It was then I heard his laugh for real, and the curtain rose.
He was still smiling and laughing as they started Pour Some Sugar on Me. And he looked so good. He was wearing all black – black jeans, solid black Chucks, and even a long-sleeved white t-shirt with some sort of black and gray design on each arm.
Step inside, walk this way
You and me babe, Hey, hey!
While Edward took the lead guitar and Jasper took the bass guitar, it was Emmett that mainly sang lead. Not that the best wasn't coming, and Alice and I were totally waiting for it.
Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on
Livin' like a lover with a radar phone
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
Razzle 'n' a dazzle 'n' a flash a little light
Television lover, baby, go all night
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss ah innocent sugar me, yeah
Hey!
C'mon, take a bottle, shake it up
Break the bubble, break it up
Jasper took the chorus, with Edward and Emmett backing him up. And they were a huge hit, because the girls next to us were losing their minds.
Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough
I'm hot, sticky sweet
From my head to my feet yeah
"Fuck," I groaned when Edward sang about being hot and sticky sweet. It was what I'd been waiting for all night. He knew it, too, because he totally shot me a sexy ass wink and crooked smile as the words tumbled out of his we were feeding our boys some serious lust, because when they chanted the next part, Jasper and Edward walked to the edge of the stage, working the crowd. And "working the crowd" meant "working their hips." I'm pretty sure one of the girls at the next table over practically passed out.
Listen! Red light, yellow light, green-a-light go!
Crazy little woman in a one man show
Mirror queen, mannequin, rhythm of love
Sweet dream, saccharine, loosen up
You gotta squeeze a little, squeeze a little
Tease a little more
Easy operator come a knockin' on my door
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss innocent sugar me, yeah
Take a bottle, shake it up
Break the bubble, break it up
Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough
I'm hot, sticky sweet
From my head to my feet yeah
You got the peaches, I got the cream
Sweet to taste, saccharine
'Cos I'm hot, say what, sticky sweet
From my head, my head, to my feet
Do you take sugar? one lump or two?
Take a bottle, shake it up
Break the bubble, break it up
Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough
Sugar me!
The. Place. Exploded.
There were cheers, whistles, and standing ovations – and that was just our table. I could barely hear myself think with the racket that was going on around me.
I couldn't help but give Edward a smug smile, and he chuckled, rolled his eyes, and stepped in front of the microphone.
"I see by the sign from the lovely ladies behind the bar that it's almost midnight," he said, pausing for the cheers of the crowd.
I turned to look at the bar, and one of the girls was holding up a sign that said "2 minutes." I turned back to Edward when he started to walk towards the edge of the stage, spinning the guitar to his back.
"I need my kiss," he crooned, grinning sexily when the girls in the crowd lost their minds. He turned to Jasper, who was laughing, and asked, "Don't you think we deserve a kiss, J?"
"Hell, yeah," Jasper laughed, spinning his own guitar to his back. "Any volunteers?"
Girls screamed in response. By this point, my sisters were in hysterics. Our boys never talked to the crowd.
"Well, pick someone, Ed," Emmett chucked, joining Edward and Jasper at the front of the stage.
"Hmm," Edward mused dramatically, tapping a long finger at his chin. He walked from one end of the stage to the other, finally stopping in front of me. I rolled my eyes at him, but he just grinned, saying, "This table...I think." He offered me his hand. "What about you, beautiful? Can I have a kiss?"
I squeezed his fingers, causing a laugh to bark from him as he helped me up on stage. Jasper and Emmett followed Edward's lead, helping Alice and Rose on stage.
"You've lost your mind, Edward," I chuckled as he tugged me closer.
"Hmm, maybe," he snickered, "but this way, we both get a kiss and your table neighbors learn a lesson."
"They'll learn a lesson when we sing," I countered with a smirk on my face.
Edward's eyebrows shot up, but his smile grew wider. "Fair enough, my sweet girl. Oh, yeah...and I love you."
I giggled. "Love you, too, silly."
When the countdown fell to three, two, one...Happy New Year, I found myself bent backwards in a dramatic kiss, squealing and smiling against Edward's lips.
"Happy New Year, Mrs. Cullen," he whispered in my ear, before giving me a sweet kiss on the cheek and turning back to the crowd to introduce us, which only made the crowd make more noise through the confetti that was floating everywhere.
Emmett dove back to his drums, and Edward and Jasper pulled their guitars back around. Alice, Rose, and I all took mics. We were about to sing for Darren and his boys.
Emmett started the beat for Pink's U + UR Hand, and the crowd all got to their feet as Alice started the first verse with a wicked smile.
Check it out
Going out
On the late night
Looking tight
Feeling nice
It's a cock fight
I can tell
I just know
That it's going down
Tonight
At the door we don't wait cause we know them
At the bar six shots just beginning
That's when dick head put his hands on me
But you see
The chorus was mine, and I walked to the edge of the stage, just so I had Darren's, Vince's, and Blane's undivided attention.
I'm not here for your entertainment
You don't really want to mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second
I was fine before you walked into my life
Cause you know it's over
Before it began
Keep your drink just give me the money
It's just you and your hand tonight

I took the few bills that were laying on the table and tossed them at Blane's face, turning to walk away so that Rose could take the next verse.
Midnight
I'm drunk
I don't give a fuck
Wanna dance
By myself
Guess you're outta luck
Don't touch
Back up
I'm not the one
Buh bye
Listen up it's just not happening
You can say what you want to your boyfriends
Just let me have my fun tonight
Aiight

Edward's guitar playing was hot and sexy and rough, so I couldn't help but walk around him, tracing a finger across his back from one shoulder to the other. His face was intense, but totally playful, his eyes dark and locked onto mine for the briefest of moments, before I made my way back to the girls.
I'm not here for your entertainment
You don't really want to mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second
I was fine before you walked into my life
Cause you know it's over
Before it began
Keep your drink just give me the money
It's just you and your hand tonight

Break break
Break it down

The girls and I took the break together, because it was the perfect message to the jerks at the next table. We towered over them from the stage, and they stared wide-eyed and shocked.
In the corner with your boys you bet 'em five bucks
You'd get the girl that just walked in but she thinks you suck
We didn't get all dressed up just for you to see
So quit spilling your drinks on me yeah
I said the next line with a laugh, waving a dismissive hand at them all.
You know who you are
High fivin', talkin' shit, but you're going home alone, aren'tcha?

Cause I'm not here for your entertainment
No
You don't really want to mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second
Just stop and take a second
I was fine before you walked into my life
Cause you know it's over
Know it's over
Before it began
Keep your drink just give me the money
It's just you and your hand tonight
It's just you and your hand

Alice and I ended the song wrapped around our men, Rose falling with a laugh into Emmett's lap.
"Mm, damn, that was good, baby," Edward growled, pressing his forehead to mine as the curtain dropped. His eyes were dark, his brow furrowed as his strong arm pulled my waist in closer.
"You think?" I giggled, kissing his nose.
"Uh, yeah," he huffed a laugh, nodding against my forehead. "It was...hot."
I laughed, backing away from him. He never used the word hot. Ever. "Glad you approved, Mr. Cullen. Glad you approved."
~oOoOo~
EDWARD
"We have to get ready for school," Bella sighed, nuzzling further into my neck and inhaling deeply.
"I think I've forgotten the whole concept," I chuckled, rolling us to our sides.
She smiled, but it barely touched her eyes.
After the open mic night, we'd barely left each other's side or touch or even mind, but at the moment, I couldn't hear what she was thinking.
"I'm sure with your perfect memory, it will all come flying back to you, Edward."
"What's this?" I asked, rubbing the wrinkle between her brow. "You're not worried about going back to school, are you?"
"No, I just..." She sighed, looking at my chest and not my eyes. "It's stupid, baby. Let's just get ready."
She started to leave our bed, but I stopped her with an arm around her waist. "No, not so fast. And not until you tell me, love." I wrapped my arms tightly around her, not allowing her to get up.
"I don't want to remove my ring, Edward," she mumbled, and as if I would take it from her, her tiny little hand balled up into a tight fist.
"Oh, sweet girl," I sighed, relaxing that it wasn't anything we couldn't get through. "I hadn't even thought about it. It might be questioned, though."
"I don't care," she huffed, almost sounding like a pouting child, and I kissed her temple. "I'm not removing it. And yours stays, too," she mumbled into my neck.
I smiled, but I knew it a big deal, huge deal for her to take our rings off the last time. I placed kisses on her head, trying to think if there was another way, but Alice came to my rescue.
Don't sweat it. These kids won't even bother with it. She's fine to leave it on. They'll think it's a promise ring, Edward. She's already nervous enough as it is...
"Hey, beautiful," I whispered, tilting her head up. "Alice says it's okay to leave it on."
"Yeah?" she asked, a little smile curling up her lips.
"Yeah."
"Good, because I just couldn't bear to think of it." She paused. "Rose said it was because you put it on me when I was human, and we don't like change and..."
"Bella, love." I chuckled, kissing her soundly just to get her to relax. "It's fine. And I'm glad you're that attached to your ring. It's perfectly understandable. Are you sure you're not nervous to start school again?"
She groaned, her nose wrinkling just before she burrowed into my neck again. "Okay, maybe a little. It's the middle of the year, baby," she whined adorably.
"Come with me," I said, throwing the covers back and tugging her up from the bed. "We need a shower." I took her by the hand and led her into the bathroom. We were already undressed, so I adjusted the temperature of the water. "In, baby," I commanded, patting her butt cheek, which caused the sweetest of giggles.
This shower wasn't for getting clean or getting ready for school. This shower was for assuaging my girl's fears and nerves and whatever anxiety she was feeling. She may be a stunning and confident vampire, but she would always be my sweet, shy girl that didn't particularly care to be stared at or talked about. And first days at school were bad enough as it was; joining classes in the middle of the year was even worse.
I knew what she felt the first time I'd ever met her. I'd read her book, her story of us. But I wanted to hear it from her. "Tell me about your first day at Forks, love," I said, kneeling before her and turning her so her back was to me.
"Edward," she groaned. "You know what it was like. It was terrible. And this guy kept giving me dirty looks."
I barked a laugh. "That's because you rocked his world, Bella. He forgot his manners for just a moment."
She giggled, but I turned it into a moan when I massaged her back with soapy hands. "Tell me, sweetheart."
"I got lost, and people I didn't know talked to me, but I knew it was just because I was new. I was already weirded out over living with Charlie, but everyone already acted like they knew me, because they knew of him."
I smiled, leaning in and kissing the small of her beautiful back, my hands now massaging her sweet little bottom, thighs, and calves. God, she was so perfect for me, and she had no idea. It was like every part of her was made just for my hands.
I watched my own fingers glide down her spine, cup her ass and thighs, only to retrace my path up to her shoulders. The slope of her back was gorgeous, strong, with smooth skin and lithe muscles. She'd been so very beautiful when I'd met her as a human, but Bella as my immortal mate was just...stunning.
"If you don't want to talk to anyone today, you don't have to," I told her, turning her back around to rinse off the soap. I got more body wash and started on her front, and I couldn't help the wicked smile that crept up my face when she giggled as I cupped her breasts. "I believe Carlisle and Esme have told the office that we're to be together in some fashion. I'm not sure of our schedule, but you'll be with one of us in every class, Bella."
"I know," she sighed, the little wrinkle was back between her brows.
"Keep talking," I whispered, looking up at her as my thumbs caresses her hip bones.
"I wanted to fit in, to disappear among the masses, but there weren't any masses at Forks. There was just...too much attention. And I didn't fit in...because I was different." She blew a frustrated exhale out through her nose, and I stopped my task of washing her feet to look up at her.
"You were different," I agreed, kissing the top of her foot and setting it back down. Her little hands held onto my shoulders as I picked up the other one. "But I'd like to think that was for me."
She grinned. "Okay," she said, dragging the word out.
"I'm serious," I sighed, unable to keep my lips from the tiny little freckle on the inside of her knee. "You weren't a typical student, my sweet girl," I said, swirling my tongue over the little blemish and leaving an open mouth kiss. "You weren't a flirt or shallow or unobservant. You liked classical music, classic literature, and refused to be drawn in by frivolous high school boys. You were carefully made just for me. You had an old soul, love."
"Edward," she breathed, running her fingers through my hair, but she didn't say anything else.
"I don't want you to pay any attention to them today," I said, my brow furrowing. "They don't matter...their opinions, their whispers, or their stares. It's all about us. Okay?"
She nodded, whispering, "Okay."
"I know we're doing this for other reasons, but going back to school with you is one of my favorite things, Bella," I confessed, leaning in to kiss her mound and lifting one of her legs over my shoulder. "If something bothers you, I want you to remember this chat. You're mine, my love. But that means that I'm there...not far, and if you need a minute, I'll take care of you, just like I am now."
With that said, I locked my eyes on hers and gave her clit an open mouth, suckling kiss, undulating my tongue over the sensitive little bundle. Her breath caught in her throat, but her eyes never left mine. I moaned as her hands gripped my shoulders.
Her taste was all I needed in this life. It was heady, floral, and life sustaining for me. As I dipped my tongue into her center, my eyes rolled back at the flavor of her, losing myself in her. It was as if nothing else could reach me in that one moment.
I wanted to take away her fears, but I got so much more out of it. Her sounds, my name ghosting across her lips, were just encouraging me to ravish her. Her grip to my hair and shoulder urged me closer, harder, deeper. And her grinding hips told me she was close.
One of my hands gripped her bottom, while the other slipped two fingers deep inside of her. I covered her swollen nub with my mouth, sucking hard on it, just to hear her growl low, just to feel her whole body clench hard. But my girl was holding back.
"You let go for me. Forget everything but this, my Bella. I want it, love. I want to taste you when you come..."
If I ever needed confirmation that my voice drove her over the edge, I got it right then, because she came hard on my fingers and tongue, a whispered string of sexy profanities leaving her sweet mouth. I couldn't help but smile against the skin of the inside of her thigh, placing a soft kiss there and setting her leg down. I loved her madly, but I loved even more that we had that kind of effect on each other.
"You're so beautiful, baby," I told her, finally standing up before her. "And don't you worry about today. I'm right there with you..."
"Speaking of possessiveness," she crooned, looking up at me with dark, mischievous eyes. "Let's talk about who you belong to, Mr. Cullen," she purred, wrapping her hand around my now throbbing erection.
As her strong little hands squeezed me with soapy fingers, I couldn't have said who "Mr. Cullen" even was.
~oOoOo~
"Hey," my girl said with the sweetest giggle as she looked at her schedule and how it compared to everyone else's. "We have a class with Em and Rose. We've never had that."
I chuckled, looking at my brother, and he was just as happy as we left the office of the new school.
Emmett had been right about one thing. Memorial High was an all indoor school, with multiple floors. However, he was wrong on one account. With the number of windows in the building, we wouldn't be able to come on sunny days. We were all okay with it, though, since we were hoping to not be there for a long period of time.
Alice had been right, as well.
These kids had money, privilege, and the attitude that they could get whatever they wanted, because I could hear it in their minds as they took in our looks, clothes, and demeanor. It was going to be a rough stint, I thought as we walked down the halls. The girls were ogling my brothers and me, and they were calculating, cunning, devious, and quite graphically imaginative. The boys were actually worse this time, which made me wrap an arm around my girl's waist. They had never been told no – not by their parents, teachers, and especially not by girls. They were going to learn a terrible lesson, and it probably wouldn't even be me that taught it. Bella and my sisters would teach them what no meant, I was sure of it.
"Sweet, baby sis," he grinned, giving her a fist bump. "Though how much studying do you think we'll get in that free study period?"
"None," Rose and Bella laughed together.
"Come on, SeƱor Cullen," Bella chuckled, taking my hand and doing a fantastic job at ignoring the stares we were getting as we all went our separate ways. "Spanish class."
I chuckled, bending to her ear and telling her all sorts of dirty things in Spanish, knowing she was fluent now. I told her all the places I didn't get a chance to put my tongue that morning in the shower, just to hear her laugh.
"My what?" she giggled, smacking my arm as I held the door for her. "You wish, Edward. Now you have to wait until after school."
"Don't I know it," I sighed, walking to the teacher's desk with her.
We handed over our slips, meeting Mr. Martinez. "Isabella Swan and Edward Cullen," he mused, handing us two books.
God, I forgot how much I loved hearing our names together like that. It brought back so many memories. Really good ones, at that.
"Bella, sir," I corrected him politely. "She prefers Bella."
He smiled a kind smile, nodding to her. "Sure, no problem, Bella," he said, gesturing to two seats on the side row. "These two aren't assigned, so they're yours. We try to stay in the same seats every class. We'll get started as soon as the bell rings."
Bella took the seat in front of me, and I sat down behind her. She turned around as a few students piled in. "Are you gonna protect me all day?" she asked with a wry smile, her mind referring to the correction I'd done of her name.
"If I need to," I told her with a grin and a shrug. "It's my job – one that I live for."
"You are good at it," she snorted, rolling her beautiful eyes at me.
Once class started, she turned back around, and I did something I hadn't done in so long. I wrote her a note to take with her to her next class.
Mr. Martinez was a kind man, a good teacher, and really, we didn't need to pay attention, but we needed to fit in. Bella liked him, because he didn't call attention to us. I liked him, because he held the attention of the students very well.
I knew Bella hated any sort of math class, and I felt awful that I couldn't be with her for Algebra, but we had different Histories to take. As we left Spanish, Alice and Jasper met us in the hall.
"X and Y are your friends," I teased her, kissing her forehead and tucking her note into her front pocket.
"Shut up," she giggled, but leaned into the kiss. "See you at lunch, baby."
"Mmhm," I hummed in her ear. "Love you, sweet girl."
I gave Jasper a pointed look that I didn't have to explain. He knew what she was feeling on a first day, so I didn't have to worry. He would take care of her in the next two classes. Besides, they were excellent for each other in school settings – Jasper would ask for her shield if he needed, and he would calm her when the situations called for it.
With that, I left them to their math.
~oOoOo~
BELLA
Mrs. Sorren, despite her hideous subject, was a nice older lady, with dark, wavy graying hair and a dimpled smile. She introduced us, but did so as we sat in our seats. Thankfully, it wasn't in the front of the class. We were already being stared at, so there was no need to call even more attention.
She had given us our books and turned to the board to write a few problems down. When the attention was on her, and not on us, I finally pulled out Edward's note.
When he'd tucked it into my pocket, I'd just about cried with the memory of it. I hadn't even thought about his old notes in so long, and yet, there he was, giving me back something really special. Edward's verbalization of his love for me was amazing, but his written words were so pretty, so perfect, that they could have almost been poetry.
My Beautiful Mrs. Cullen,
You are my whole world, sweet girl. And I wanted to tell you that before we embark on this next phase.
I wanted to tell you that you are so smart and brave and kind. I wanted to tell you that you can make it through this first day, because you build it up to be so much more than it really is. It's nothing, love. It's just a means for me to play with you all day. And I love every moment of it.
You do, however, need to be warned, my love. These spoiled kids need to know that you belong to me. That I belong to you. And that they need to get used to disappointment, because we don't share. We're selfish and gluttonous in our love for each other, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
And I know that you hate the stares, baby. I do, and I understand. But know this...with every single eye that caresses you, my gorgeous wife, it's my eyes that are looking with them. It's my stare; it's my caress. Because I will watch you, watch out for you, even when I'm not with you.
I love you, Bella. More than I can write at the moment.
Always,
Edward
I smiled—hell no, I grinned, like a big goofy smile—as I folded his note and tucked it safely back in my pocket. My Edward always knew what I needed to hear, even on the toughest of days.
"Ah, warm and fuzzy," Jasper chortled softly next to me. "I see my brother has gone back to his written words."
"He has," I giggled, shaking my head. "He's so very good at it, too."
Jasper chuckled silently, shooting me a wink as we tried to focus on the teacher's instructions. Alice snorted from the seat on his other side, but we said no more until the bell rang.
~oOoOo~
Government with Jasper was the most boring of classes. Not that Jasper made it boring, but Miss Ellis did. She had a frowning face, a droning voice, and a dominating personality. It made for an uncomfortable class. Though she ignored us thoroughly, she did not hold her students' attention. At all.
She was a teacher whose sole purpose was to make you take as many notes as possible, leaving you to study on your own, but telling you that everything you'd need was in those notes in order to pass the tests. It was a terrible way to learn a very boring subject to begin with.
It didn't help that she didn't care if students whispered quietly as the notes were being written—though I had a theory that her hearing wasn't exactly up to par, and that the students used it to their advantage. Especially since they had new people to capture their interest.
"Hey, I'm Whitney," a brunette said, turning around in front of Jasper and smiling sweetly. "I know it sucks being new, but I had to thank you." She snorted with a sweet smile. "I was the newbie up until you."
Jasper and I grinned, shaking her hand.
"Jasper and Bella," I introduced us.
As usual, the questions started out of pure curiosity. "So you're adopted?"
"No, the boys are adopted," I corrected. "The two other girls and I are foster kids, though one is my real sister."
"Oh," she sighed, nodding. "Sorry, but my friend, Caleb, his mother works in the office. He said that your parents were young."
"Yeah, they are," I told her, nodding a little. "But they like helping older kids, because they like to give back. My foster mother can't have children." It was strange how easy it was to slip back into the old character, the old story.
Whitney was kind enough to guide us downstairs to the first floor to the lunch room. I took a deep breath, knowing this was going to be the hardest part of the day. It wasn't just a classroom of kids looking at me, but practically the whole school.
"Easy, Bells," Jasper soothed, sending me a wave of calm. "Did you bring a book to read?"
"Uh, yeah," I snorted, looking over at him like he was crazy to think otherwise.
"Right, got it." He chuckled, holding the door for me, but I never more happy to see my favorite sight – my family taking over a table at the very back of the lunchroom.
As we approached, I could see Emmett and Rose, but not Alice and Edward, who were coming from Current Events together. I sat by Emmett, chuckling when he ruffled my hair.
"Hey, kiddo, how's it going so far?" He grinned his sweet boyish smile, making me laugh despite my nerves. "Pizza?" He pushed a filled tray towards me with a snicker.
I laughed, "Uh, nope...thanks, though. I'm trying to cut down on pepperoni."
I pulled out some paperback that I'd yanked off the shelf when Jasper and I had gone to the store for school supplies. I buried my nose in it, barely skimming over the words. I was waiting for...
"Oh, shit, he's fucking hot," I heard from the table in front of me.
Yeah, I was waiting for that.
I looked up, ignoring Jasper and Emmett's excitement over the coming SuperBowl, and watched my Edward stride across the lunchroom. I shook my head, thinking that maybe I'd dressed him too well this morning.
With his usual tell of nerves, his hand ran through his hair, but it only added to his attractiveness, sending it into a sexy disarray. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a gray t-shirt with a graphic of an eagle on it, and a black leather jacket. His sneakers were the same as he'd worn the night of New Years. I had thought of him the moment I'd seen them. Solid black Chucks, even down to the soles. They were different than the traditional Converse, but they suited him perfectly.
Female eyes followed him the whole way to our table, but I registered their disappointment when, as he sat down next to me, he tucked my hair behind my ear. It was such a loving gesture, and one of my favorites, that they could tell that there was more between us.
"Sweet girl, how's it going so far?" He smiled so sweetly at me that I just about melted right there.
"Miss Ellis is boring," I stated with a chuckle, but really laughed when my whole family said, "No shit."
"That's it?" he asked with a laugh.
"So far." I gave him a shrug and a smirk, scanned the room, and went back to my book.
As my family sank into the same old conversations, I relished Edward's fingers tracing nondescript circles on my thigh just above my denim covered knee. It was a comforting little habit of his, not sexual in nature.
"It can be," he chuckled, giving me a wink and tickling my knee at the same time.
Behave, handsome. I smirked at him, stilling his fingers and linking them with my own. Besides, you're being studied at the moment.
"Like I care," he huffed, but he paused. "You've made a friend already?"
I snorted, but it was Jasper that answered.
"Yeah, Whitney," he chuckled, his eyes flickering to the table in front of ours. "She was the new kid before us. She's really kind—not what I was expecting."
Edward and Emmett both turned to the table, watching every girl bloom into a deep red and turn back to their tray, their hushed whispers meeting our sensitive ears. They'd been totally busted staring our way – or my man's way. Pa-tay-toh, po-tah-toh, as Kevin would say.
"I don't get it," a little blonde growled, frowning over to Whitney. "If they're adopted or foster or what-the-fuck-ever, then why do they look...together?"
"I've only told you what they said, Kimber," Whitney snorted with an eye roll. "I didn't give them the Spanish Inquisition. Damn."
Emmett chuckled. "That didn't take long."
"Never does," Edward snickered, holding out his hand. He grinned as two crisp fifties landed there from my brothers. "I told you by lunch."
"That's a damn shame," Rose chuckled, shaking her beautiful blonde head and rolling her eyes. "We bet on the dumbest shit."
"Yeah?" Emmett snorted. "What was that bet I heard last night?"
"Nothing," Rose and I muttered, and I totally tried to go back to my book, but it was suddenly ripped from my hands, so I shielded my thoughts quickly.
"Spill, little one," Jasper chuckled. "What's the bet?"
"I was just...I mean," I stuttered, looking to Rose for help and finding none. "She said..."
"Oh ho, I knew you'd blame me," Rose laughed, throwing a pack of crackers at me that I blocked with an open hand and a snicker.
"Spill it, beautiful," Edward chuckled, holding my book away from me. "What's the bet?"
"Which of you boys gets crushed on first," I started, but Edward didn't let me finish.
"Oh, that's easy...Jasper," he said with a grin, jerking his chin to Whitney's table. "It's the little redhead."
"Aw damn," my brother whined, causing us all to chuckle and give the poor girl a glance. "Really?"
"By a teacher," Rose chortled. "You didn't let her finish."
Alice's giggle was hilarious, but not as funny as Edward's silence.
"Now who needs to spill, mind reader?" I teased, poking his stomach.
"Okay, dude, who is it?" Emmett chuckled.
"I have no idea what you're talking about," Edward lied, not so smoothly, picking up my hand and playing with my wedding ring.
"Miss Gibbons from Current Events," Alice chirped from across the table, sticking her tongue out at Edward when he gave her a grumpy look. "She's young, too. Pretty."
"Oh, really?" I asked with a high squeal, placing my elbows on the table and resting my chin in my hands. "Do tell, handsome," I sang, holding out my hand to Rose, who smacked a fifty into it.
"Really? You bet it was me?" Edward growled, looking between me and Rose, but he couldn't fight his smile or the razzing his brothers were giving him. "Okay, fine. It's me. She stared at me the whole class. It was disturbing and...and...ugh," he sighed, rolling his eyes.
"Good answer," I chuckled, standing when the bell rang. "Come on, Too Cute For Your Own Good. We have English."
Edward and I were the first to class, handing over our slips to Mrs. Harris and introducing ourselves. I loved her instantly, and I could feel my shield almost pull her in, which caused Edward to chuckle softly behind me.
She was short and a little round, but with the sweetest face. Her hazel eyes crinkled in the corners when she smiled. And they were true, honest smiles. When she saw our "previous" reading list, she clapped like Alice and said that we would do just fine.
"Right now, we're in the middle of To Kill a Mockingbird," she said, leading us to two desks at the end of the front row. "Are you familiar with it?"
"Yes, ma'am." Edward smiled, nodded, and sat down gracefully next to me. "We'd just finished it at our last school," he lied smoothly, giving me a wink when Mrs. Harris turned around.
"Who was your favorite character?" she asked, not looking up as she shuffled through the drawer of her desk.
Edward said, "Atticus Finch," at the same time I blurted out, "Boo Radley."
She chuckled, looking up at the both of us. "I can understand Atticus, Edward. He was fair, smart, kind." She turned to me. "But Boo? Really, Bella?"
"Yeah." I nodded. "He wasn't the monster everyone made him out to be. He was just...misunderstood."
Our conversation was cut short as students began to drift in, taking their seats. Mrs. Harris asked the same question of her students as she had us, and I wasn't the only one that liked Boo.
As we left to head to the Chem Lab, Edward chuckled beside me. "You really liked her."
"I did," I gushed, shoving him when he laughed at me. "She's really sweet."
"She is," he agreed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders, but said no more about it, keeping a soft smile on his face.
Chemistry was...different. It was the first time ever that Edward and I had a science class with someone from our family. We were assigned the table behind Alice and Jasper, the latter of which just had to say something.
"I know it's not Biology," he sang with a childish grin on his face, "but you'll just have to behave now." He pointed two fingers to his eyes and then to us.
We both flipped him off.
Chemistry was also the first class I thought we would have trouble. Mr. Bentley left the room for a moment, just as three boys in letterman jackets walked into the room. They were followed closely by Whitney and some of her friends.
"Well, well, well," the tallest one drawled, smirking our way and setting his books down. "It's the new guys."
"Yeah, I've been wanting to meet you guys all day," a shorter one said, tossing his backpack to the floor at the table up front.
I could feel Edward tense beside me, but Jasper's head snapped up from the book he was flipping through.
"Oh, shut up, guys," Whitney growled with an exaggerated eye roll. "Hey, Jasper...Bella. Meet Tristan," she said, pointing to the big guy, "Sean," she sighed, pointing to the second boy that had spoken, "and Logan."
Logan was small, almost fragile in size, but he gave a soft wave and a blushing smile. I couldn't help but feel for his telltale sign of nerves or embarrassment as he pushed his little wire-rimmed glasses up his nose.
"The girls over there," she chuckled, pointing to the back of the room, "are Kimber and Ellie." I recognized the blonde from lunch as Kimber. Ellie was the little redhead that Edward said was crushing on Jasper.
Leave it to Alice to be all social, because she launched into her own introductions, probably seeing something connected to the vibe that was practically glowing off of Jasper.
"So," Tristan started, leaning back against his lab table and folding his arms across his chest. "Are you guys like the Brady Bunch or something? Some new Modern Family?" He laughed stupidly at his own joke, but his friends followed his lead.
"You know...that's not a bad way to put it?" Alice giggled, but I watched her hand slip into Jasper's under their table.
Whitney snorted, looking to me. "Don't pay them any attention. Have you had Miss Ellis yet?"
And that's all it took to break the tension—a loud conversation on how boring and mean she could be. They told countless stories on things they'd gotten away with in her class, things she'd yelled at the boys for, and how completely boring her voice was. By the time the rest of the students had joined the class and Mr. Bentley had returned, all seemed fine amongst the testosterone driven masses.
~oOoOo~
"What do you guys have next?" Whitney asked, and suddenly I realized that she was just generally a kind person, feeling sympathy for us being new.
"A free study period," Edward answered.
"Oh, okay," she sighed, grimacing. "I've got band...flute." She rolled her eyes, and we both chuckled. "My mother says it will look good on my college applications, but really...flute is...ugh." Again, we chuckled at her little rant. "Anyway...the study period is in Miss Gibbons' classroom."
"Nice. I've been wanting to meet her," I laughed, squirming when Edward pinched my side.
"She's cool. Not a lot of rules with her," Whitney said, waving when we separated in the hall.
"Obviously," I muttered, grinning when Edward growled low. "Oh, now, stop. We both have won like two hundred bucks today, handsome. Enjoy it."
He didn't say a word, just shot me a glare, but I could see him fighting his smile as he opened the door of the classroom.
Miss Gibbons was very pretty and very young – most likely close to my true age, which was around twenty five. She had light brown hair, cool, funky glasses, and wore a tight pencil skirt. But it was Emmett, who was playing with a can of Pickup Sticks, that summed her up nicely as we joined him and Rose at the back table.
"Wow, she's really working that Hot For Teacher thing, isn't she?" His grin was hilarious, as was the punch his brother gave his large upper arm.
Rose and I snorted, but had to really bite back our laughter when Miss Gibbons walked up to our table.
"Edward, is this the rest of your family?" she asked, a sweet smile planted on her lips.
"Yes, Miss Gibbons," he sighed, glaring at all of us to say something. "Some of them, anyway. My brother Emmett. And this is Rose and Bella. Alice, whom you've already met, is her sister."
"Well, it's nice to meet all of you. This period is free, but do try to keep the noise down. And Edward, no rough-housing, please."
"Yes, ma'am," he said, handing me my backpack.
I studied her face as she regarded him one more time, but when she walked away, I just had to ask. "Okay, spill, handsome, because she's not overtly ogling you."
"No, she's not," he growled, shaking his head. "But she thinks..."
"That you're soooo cute," Emmett teased, reaching for Edward's cheek, but he knocked his brother's hand away.
"Basically, yeah." Poor Edward turned to me with a pained expression, begging me with sweet eyes not to push it.
"Fine, you're cute, so we'll leave it at that. The first detention you get, though...and buddy, we're gonna have issues," I told him, pointing a finger at him.
He chuckled, grabbed my finger and kissed it quickly. He set my hand back on the table, and we spent the remainder of the free period playing Pickup Sticks, which was amazing in it's own right, considering all of us had perfectly steady hands.
My last class was with Jasper, but no Edward. It was World History with Mr. Snidely, and he was an interesting teacher. I couldn't decide whether he was mean or just snarky. I also couldn't decide if he was good at his job, or just funny enough to keep everyone's attention.
They were studying world leaders—Napoleon being the main focus at the moment. I found Napoleon to be a boring study, unless you added in Alexandre Dumas' world of Musketeers and iron masks, not to mention The Count of Monte Cristo. But really, that was just my opinion.
When the last class ended, I sighed a deep sigh of relief. "I'm heading to the car," I groaned, looking over at a chuckling Jasper.
"Sure, kiddo. I'm going to meet up with Alice, so I'll see you there."
The parking garage for Memorial High looked like a Cullen garage. Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, and Land Rover were just the many high end names I caught as I made my way up the last row. What I saw when I made it to our car made my breath catch.
Edward was waiting with the top down, a leg set on the garage floor, the door to the BMW open, as he listened to something fairly heavy, but most likely unknown to the students that were slowly spilling into the garage. He was so handsome, so lost in his own world at the moment, that I almost didn't want to disturb it, but he felt my presence anyway, despite the fact that my thoughts were shielded.
He looked up at me, a sweet smile gracing his handsome face.
"Hey," I whispered, leaning on the open car door with a smile.
"Hi, yourself," he chuckled, but frowned when I heard girls giggling behind me.
I didn't even bother to look. "What's wrong, baby?"
"Nothing," he grumped, looking back at the CD case that was in his hand.
I snatched it from him, giggling. "Tell me."
"They think too much about me," he sighed, looking embarrassed, but frustrated at the same time. "They're still not sure about all of us, or where we stand. It's annoying..."
I snickered, but I understood. We really didn't show a lot of PDA our first day at school. But I saw something else in my husband's eyes – longing. So long had he watched his siblings be couples at school, and for a moment, I wondered what that felt like. I wondered if the reason girls crushed on him, besides his obvious beauty, was that they knew he was unattached.
Well, he wasn't unattached. My Edward needed claiming.
"Are they still watching you?" I asked, stepping closer and straddling the one muscular leg that still was planted on the ground.
"Yeah...Bella, what are you..."
Without shame, without any care whatsoever, I straddled him the in driver's seat of the little rental convertible.
"Are they still watching, Edward?" I crooned, running my fingers through his hair.
"Yeah," he chuckled, but his eyes were dark as his hands gripped my waist and slipped down to my bottom. "You're shameless, you know that?"
"No, I don't know that," I said softly, wriggling closer to him. "What I know is...that I need a kiss after this long ass day."
"Do you now?"
"Mmhm." I nodded slowly, smirking at him and leaning in.
I pressed my lips to his, taking his top lip as he took my bottom. His hand squeezed my ass closer, but the other shot to my hair, taking a fistful of it in a hard grip. As I played with his hair, I finally turned my head, and we were lost. Done for.
With that gorgeous, stomach tingling, sensual moan, Edward's tongue met mine. Our tongues swirled together, heavy breaths on cheeks, gripping hands, and I'm pretty sure we forgot where we were. With sweeps of wet lips, we kissed without care, but I had to catch myself from rolling my hips over his. Luckily, he stilled me with his strong hand.
We slowed the kiss down with small open mouth pecks – top lip, bottom lip, a sweep of a tongue one more time. I finally pulled back to look at him, pressing my forehead to his.
He gazed up at me, like I was the only thing that mattered at the moment. "I love you."
"I love you, too, Edward," I chuckled, kissing him one more time chastely. "So," I sighed dramatically, "do they have a clue now?"
He laughed, wrapping his arms around me. "Uh, yeah, sweet girl. They get it now."
"Good," I giggled, hearing Alice clear her throat behind me. "Then tomorrow, they'll know. You're mine."
He smiled, picking me up and setting me in the passenger seat. "Let's go home," he said. "It has been a long day."


0 comments:

Post a Comment