Friday, June 22, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 33 - Bella

~oOo~

Seattle... Friday, May 12, 2010 at 3:52 P.M.

"C'mon, girl. Get a move on!" Rose called as she stepped into my classroom.

I was just putting stuff away after the final bell had rung not ten minutes before, but Rose's day had ended an hour before mine and Alice's, so she was always here right after our kids left.

"I'm done," I huffed teasingly. "Where's Alice?"

"Right here," the woman herself answered, slipping under Rose's arm as she leaned against the doorway. "You ready, Bells?"

Nodding, I grabbed my purse and the bag containing my laptop, checking to make sure my top drawer was locked before making my way to my girls. "My bag is in my car. Are we still taking yours, Rose?"

"Yup, and no, I already got your bag out and put it in my trunk. You want to drop yours off at home first?"

I thought about it for a minute. "Alice, your place is closer. Can I just leave it there?"

"Yup," she answered, already moving down the hall while I locked my door behind me. "I need to drop mine off, too, so that works."

We parted at the cars, and then Rose and I followed Alice out of the parking lot.

~oooOOOooo~

The first hour of the drive, we talked about school, caught up with the latest gossip on our men, and figured out what we wanted to do while in Forks – which was simply to relax and let Charlie take care of us.

When there was a lull in the conversation, I finally pulled out my phone and opened my email. I felt the butterflies take up residence in my stomach again when I saw that I had two emails from Edward. I wondered how long that would happen – how long I would get nervous and excited and all sorts of fluttery inside when he called or wrote. Forever, I hoped. It was something I'd never felt before and would forever remind me of him.

By the time I finished the first email, sent before he'd called me early that morning, I was in silent tears. To read his virtual hug was just more than my tired mind could handle without crying. When my girls gasped and asked what was wrong, I shook my head and held up a finger, telling them to give me a minute, and went right back to reading.

"Holy. Shit!" I gasped, feeling my jaw drop. "Rose, pull the damn car over..."

As fast as she whipped the car to the side of the road, I think Rose might have been worried something was horribly wrong.

The squeals inside her BMW when I turned the computer around to show them the pictures Edward had sent were almost deafening.

"Good God," Rose growled. "Our men are deadly, aren't they?"

Alice just nodded dumbly, her eyes glued on Jasper in the picture of the three of them, a close up of their faces as they all smiled sexily. I understood... Edward's smirk just about made me spontaneously combust.

After promising to email them the ones containing Em & Jasper, I closed that email, quickly pulling up the second, which he'd sent a couple of hours after the first, after our much-too-short phone call.

My breathing quickened, my heart sputtering at the thought of getting a package from Edward. And...was it possible he was sending me one of his shirts? Oh fuck... I just might not live through that.

The story of his dad – especially knowing what happened just a couple of years after that – brought tears to my eyes again. I was really glad he had some good memories of his father. I didn't know what I'd do without mine, so knowing that Edward didn't have either of his parents anymore was just damn sad.

For the rest of the drive, I read back through all our old emails and looked at all the pictures again. It wasn't the same as talking to him on the phone, but for now, it would do.

~oooOOOooo~

From: Bella Swan
To: EAMasen
Date Sent: Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:40 P.M.
Date Received: Sat, May 15, 2010 at 7:40 A.M.
Subject: Safe and sound

Hi, babe.

Just wanted to let you know that we made it safe and sound to Forks. My dad was a little confused about why I couldn't sit down and talk with him right away... LOL I just made some excuse (I don't even remember what I said – some nonsense, I'm sure) and ran upstairs to start up the laptop so I could email you. I know I'll have to explain when I go back downstairs, but...I'm not so worried about that. He'll love knowing you make me this happy, even before actually meeting in person.

That is strange about being called into the lieutenant's office. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. It sounds like he respects you and thinks you're doing a great job. He probably just wanted to check in, make sure you thought everything was going well. :)

Let's see... Favorite childhood memory? I'd say it's a tie. Moving in with my dad my junior year of high school was great. We hadn't been really close before then since I only visited a couple of times a year, and it was so good being able to spend time getting to know him. I also remember one summer when I was...about eight, I think? My mom was really into pottery that summer, and there was an arts and crafts fair in Phoenix (inside, of course, because it was way too hot to hold outdoors). She took me with her while she tried to sell her stuff, and by the end of the second day, I was antsy and wanted to explore. She closed up shop (she'd only sold one piece...and boy, THAT guy was an odd duck...) and let me drag her around the rest of the exhibits. There were a bunch of interactive things for kids, and she was right there with me the whole time, playing like she was my age. It is one of my favorite memories of her, where I didn't have to be the adult. I got to act like a kid, and it was even ok for her to act like one, too.

Ok, quick "20 Questions" question now from me... Most embarrassing moment? *grin* For me, I'd have to say in high school, before I moved in with my dad, when I came out of the bathroom at school with not only the back of my skirt tucked up in my panties, but toilet paper trailing behind me from the bottom of my shoe. I was mortified the rest of the time I was there at that school. Looking back now, I can see the amusement... Then? Not so much. ;)

Charlie is calling me down, so I need to go. Talk soon?

Yours,
Bella

P.S. When is your birthday? I haven't missed it since we started talking, have I? xoxo

~oOo~

0 comments:

Post a Comment