Monday, June 25, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 39 - Bella

~oOo~

From: Bella Swan
To: EAMasen
Date Sent: Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:07 P.M.
Date Received: Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:07 A.M.
Subject: You dream about me?

That's only fair, since my dreams are filled with you. ;) Talking about sticks and angles and bending my body just the right way... Yes, my dreams tonight won't be any different than they have been for awhile now. (Not that I'm complaining. *grin*)

I do think I'd like a kitten. I haven't had a pet since I was a kid. Maybe we can get a puppy, too, though. They can grow up together...

That's not fair, babe... First the pool, then elevator talk? Shit, you're trying to kill me, aren't you? I agree that emails are too silent. I mean, don't get me wrong...they are better than not being able to email at all, but still. I can't wait to hear your voice again – and being able to hear you...to see your face when you are turned on and horny and just about to come? Fuck, that thought just does something to me. And dammit... I'm out with the girls, taking cookies to the station, and now my panties need changing! LOL

I'd better go, babe.

Thinking of you always,
Bella

P.S. Of course it's ok that you made me your emergency contact. I'm honored that you want it that way. I hope it never gets used, of course, but I love that you made that change. xoxo

~oooOOOooo~

From: Bella Swan
To: EAMasen
Date Sent: Sat, May 15, 2010 at 4:26 P.M.
Date Received: Sun, May 16, 2010 at 4:26 P.M.
Subject: I'm in email jail...

I feel like I've been too caught up in the computer and phone, so I'm putting myself in email jail. LOL I want to spend the evening with Charlie, so these are going out of sight until either late tonight or tomorrow.

I'll email when I get home for sure, though!

20 Questions time! Here's something to make you think...

From everything you've told me, it sounds like your parents had a good marriage (unlike mine...). What are some of the things you admired about their relationship, looking back on it now? For me, I don't remember mine being married, but I know one thing they didn't/couldn't do that helped lead to their divorce, and that is compromise. Each was so set on what they wanted that they couldn't figure out a way to make them both happy.

Missing you,

Bella

~oooOOOooo~

From: Bella Swan
To: EAMasen
Date Sent: Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:32 P.M.
Date Received: Mon, May 17, 2010 at 5:32 A.M.
Subject: I'm home!

Oh man... I love visiting my dad, but I'm glad to be back in my own space, where I don't feel like I'm a teenager wanting to sneak around to see a boy! LOL

I'm sorry I didn't write again until now. We ended up having some people over last night (we were packed to the gills in my dad's small house!), including some of the guys from the station and their families, Charlie's girlfriend Sue and her kids, and even a couple of people I went to school with. Even poor Jake showed up...and he hasn't changed one bit. He flirted until I showed him one of the pictures of you decked out in full fatigues and stuff, posing with Em and Jazz, looking all hard and dangerous-like. He changed his tune pretty damn quick, said to tell you thank you for your service, and then promptly moved to flirt with Leah, Sue's daughter. It was hysterical.

Anyway, most ended up staying until almost eleven, and then the girls and I played cards with Charlie until after two. Then I had to drive home, so I didn't get a chance to email you on the drive back. *sigh* Like I said... It's good to be home! LOL

I think it's going to be an early night for me. Some soup I have in the freezer, a quiet movie (I'm thinking...How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, maybe?), and then early to bed. My dreams of you are calling me.

Have a good day, babe.

Bella

XOXO

~oooOOOooo~

Seattle... Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 5:51 P.M.

I closed the lid on my laptop and set it on the coffee table, folding in on myself. I had just finished rereading the last handful of emails from Edward, now that I was home and could concentrate better.

My heart was so full that it felt like it wanted to explode. He had all but admitted he loved me...

"I won't share you with prying eyes when we're making love, beautiful. Period. When I'm in love with someone, I don't want anyone else seeing her but me."

I'd had to keep myself from blurting out that I loved him in my next email to him, but I hadn't. For one, it wasn't something I wanted to do over email. Skype or the phone would have to do since I certainly wasn't waiting until I could tell him in person. I wanted – needed – him to know before then, whenever it happened. But I wanted to be able to say the words, for him to hear it in my voice and hopefully see it on my face, not just read it in a somewhat impersonal way like an email.

And then...his last email. I started shaking again as I thought back over his words.

"Is it okay that I made you my emergency contact? I needed to change it. You're the only one I give a shit knowing if something happens to me. (And don't you dare freak out on me!) I just needed to make sure that you knew. Jasper and Emmett know, too, but I wanted to tell you. This is important, sweetheart, so if you aren't comfortable with it, I'll change it. Just...let me know."

I knew how huge a deal the ICE was. Alice and Rose lived with that knowledge every day...and then there was the talk I'd had with my dad Sunday morning, when it was just the two of us awake.

Passing the second cup of coffee over, I sat down across from my father at the small kitchen table, only half paying attention to my surroudings. So when he reached over and placed a hand on my arm, it startled me enough that my hand jumped, sloshing coffee over the rim of the cup.

Handing me a napkin from the stack in the center of the table, Charlie raised an eyebrow. "Wanna tell me what's got you so preoccupied and jumpy?"

His eyebrow stayed high as I told him about Edward's post script in his latest email. "Bells, the change in his ICE is a big deal, you know that, right?"

"Ice?"

He nodded. "In case of emergency."

Duh. "Oh...yeah. I know, Dad." I smiled, but from Charlie's expression, I could tell it had come out more of a grimace.

After looking at me for a long moment, he said calmly, "It's a huge responsibility, Isabella. A soldier doesn't do that on a whim, and he certainly doesn't make just any random acquaintance his main person of contact – especially not if he has a loved one at home."

I must have been quiet enough for long enough that he felt the need to speak again.

"You need to be honest with him, Bells. If that isn't something you're prepared to deal with, tell him now, before—"

"No!" My response was immediate. "Sorry," I said sheepishly, lowering my voice. "I love him, Dad. I just wasn't sure..."

"If he loved you back?"

I nodded meekly, staring down at the milky liquid in the mug between my hands.

"Isabella Swan, look at me." My father's voice was stern, no-nonsense, and he waited until I had raised my head and was looking him in the eye before he spoke again. "If that boy doesn't love you, I'll turn in my badge tomorrow. You need to tell him how you feel, Bella. Soon. He needs to know he's got someone in his corner. Trust me, sometimes it can mean the difference between life or death over there, knowing you have someone to come home to."

A single tear fell as I nodded, and I swiped it away before standing and moving to embrace my father, murmuring my thanks and showing him how much I loved him and admired him as best I could with that one hug.

I realized suddenly that Charlie had been right. The clues were all there. I couldn't wait to talk to Edward in something better than an email so I could tell him exactly how I felt...and if I broke down before then and told him in an email...well, it wasn't the end of world, I realized, grinning as I got up to pull out the broccoli cheese soup from the freezer.

~oOo~

0 comments:

Post a Comment