Thursday, June 7, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 8 - Edward

~oOo~

From: EAMasen
To: Bella Swan
Date Sent: Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 6:22 A.M.
Date Received: Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:22 P.M.
Subject: I like surprises... Keep 'em comin'!

Bella,

Cruel, Isabella. You're just cruel. How dare you tease a guy with a burger that sounds that damn good? I may just have to take you up on that lunch one day. Bacon, cheese, red meat? You eat like a man, Miss Swan. No girly salads for you – just burgers, fries, and cookies. I like it, and count me in!

Big Toe? LOL! I suppose every Sarge is something like that to his squad, though if you ask my men, I'm probably closer to Tom Hanks' character in "Saving Private Ryan" than Bill Murray from "Stripes." I tend to keep to myself, so they tend to get curious about my life. Hell, most of them don't know about my parents or even where I'm from, so don't say anything. I think they have a bet going as to whether I was actually born to human parents or was just issued to them via the Army. **laugh** I really just don't feel the need to speak much about myself, though I find that you come up between Emmett, Jasper, and me more and more.

Just to warn you... I'm pretty sure they've requested that their wives send them a picture of you for me. **rolls eyes** If you really know those two, then you're well aware of how...exuberant they can be sometimes. They find it hilarious that my ex pissed you off enough to write me. So, to only be fair, in case you're attacked with a camera – and I'm sorry in advance – I'm attaching a picture of myself. I suppose it will be good to have a face to go with the name...and the baker behind those amazing fucking cookies. Perhaps one day when our schedules mesh, we could Skype? Or even just chat in real time?

My mother had a piano student like your Christopher. Marten was like six or seven years old. One day, she was helping him with his posture on the bench. She'd barely placed a hand on his back, but he winced and hissed like she'd slapped him. He was scared shitless, but he let her look at him. I must've been in the sixth or seventh grade and home at the time, but I'd never seen anything like it. Bruises all over that kid! It was the first time I'd ever seen my mom really cry – like silently just...cry...and I don't mean like when you girls watch Lifetime or anything like that. She had no choice but to call the cops. That was his last lesson, because he was removed from his parents' care that same day and taken to his grandparents' home in another state. I always wondered what happened to him, because it was the first time I remember hating an adult so much that I wanted to punch them. I didn't get it, because my parents never once laid a hand on me.

Now Jessica, on the other hand... She sounds like every girl I knew in the third grade. They didn't pretend to take pictures, but they'd wait until I wasn't looking and then run up to kiss me. I pretended to hate it, but really...they kind of smelled nice. It only got worse as I got into high school. I'm glad to know Chicago wasn't the only place that had sixteen-year-old stalking, giggling girls. **raising an eyebrow up at you, Bella** LOL

I wrote Carlos' wife a letter yesterday. It's kind of a tradition in my squad for the CO (Commanding Officer) to give a personal apology to the families left behind. I didn't know what to say to her, other than "I'm sorry" over and over and a "thank you" at the end, because had Carlos not been where he was standing, it would've been me that the shrapnel nailed. And I'm not sure how to wrap my head around that. Here Carlos and his wife have everything going for them, but no one gives a shit if I get out of here. So...why me? Though, to be honest, it feels strange to have someone – you – worried about me. Strange, but good. It's been a long time since I've had to check back in with anyone after a mission.

Jasper speaks of his wife's shopping trips like they're as dangerous as some of the shit we do around here. She sounds like a tornado. Be careful on the streets of Seattle, Bella.

Edward

P.S. A whole piano? Don't tease, Isabella. I'm a desperate man, and it's been too damn long since I've seen a woman that isn't wearing camo or a high-powered weapon...or witches in striped socks. ;) There's no telling what I'd do to able to sit down and actually play. And maybe I will write you a song. Is that a challenge?

~oOo~

1 comments:

mevans345 said...

So glad I found you two. I thought I had lost this in the ff.net debacle. I have a soft spot for Militarywards and I love how you're doing this. I love how playful they are. One reality check - Sarge wouldn't broadcast the location of troop movements beforehand.

Post a Comment