Monday, July 2, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 58 - Edward

~oOo~

Afghanistan... Monday, May 24, 2010 at 7:36 A.M.

"Sarge!" Stephens barked across the barracks as we all got ourselves ready for the day. It was my first day back, so I couldn't understand why his face held so much intensity.

"Sir!" I called back, standing at attention, as did every other man in the room.

"At ease, guys," he chuckled, walking to me and waving a hand at the rest of my men. "Get your squad together and meet me in the planning room ASAP. We need to talk before you go out today."

"Yes, sir," I murmured, frowning at him as my heart plummeted to my stomach, because I was suddenly terrified that they were about to send us back to Kandahar, and I didn't know how on this fucking Earth I was going to tell that shit to Bella.

"Relax, Masen," he chuckled. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore, but better, sir," I answered honestly with a nod, lacing up my boots. "I mean, I can move around now without it being hard to breathe."

"Good, good." He smiled, and it was genuine, crinkling up the corners of his eyes. He wasn't a young man, so the laugh lines stayed pretty much permanent. "Okay, planning room...hurry."

He left the barracks, and I finished getting dressed, pulling my weapon across my shoulder last. "You heard the man... Let's go, let's go!" I barked, the worry still settling deep within me, despite Stephens' assurances.

Jasper kept steps with me as we made our way across base. "Aw, hell. You don't think they're sending us back to—"

"I don't know," I grunted, cutting him off. "Bella will fall apart, if that's the case. She barely handled my getting hurt, and that was here."

Jasper grimaced, but nodded. He knew. Alice, despite how well she'd handled his injuries last time, was still a mess. Emmett sighed, and I could imagine he was thinking the same shit I was...that the girls were strong, but three times in a war zone was pushing our fucking luck. They would worry their asses off.

I opened the door to the planning room, and my men followed me in. We were greeted by not only Stephens, but General Thompson, too, who stopped us from saluting him.

"Sit, boys... We have a few things to go over with you," he sighed, looking weary, but focused as he flipped through a folder at the front of the room.

My men and I all took seats at the tables quietly, looking expectantly up at the two men that could, in all honesty, send us into hell without an apology.

General Thompson paced the floor, his eyes on the file in his hands. Taking a deep breath, he turned to face the room.

"Boys, I want to commend you on a job well done these last few months. Your determination to catch this last cell terrorizing the main road was excellent. Also, your ability to work with Special Ops in Kandahar was outstanding. So..." He relaxed slightly, setting the file down on the table in front of him. "Here's what I'd like to do. I think the next few squads that are scheduled to ship over here need to know what it's like. You guys have seen the right amount of action, dealt with an urban war zone, and managed to work flawlessly with a team that usually doesn't need help. What I'd like to do is send you stateside to start training several squads that are coming over here."

The whole room froze, looking at the General like he had three heads, which caused him to chuckle.

"No, I'm not kidding. You've done a damn good job over here, boys. I think it's time that you taught others what it's like. I know this squad's term is up in October, so what I want you to do is spend these next four months training new groups coming out of basic." He grinned, shaking his head as he took in every shocked face in front of him. "Is that okay with you?" he asked, chuckling as he looked over to a very amused Stephens.

"Sir, yes, sir!" we all yelled back, probably a little too loud, but we couldn't help it.

"I figured as much," he laughed, slapping his hand lightly down onto the table. "I know you have patrol, and I know that you'll want to tell your families, but let's go over the details really quick, shall we?"

~oooOOOooo~

From: EAMasen
To: Bella Swan
Date Sent: Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:23 P.M.
Date Received: Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:23 A.M.
Subject: Holy fucking shit! Have I got news for you!

My beautiful Bella...

We've been reassigned, my love! STATESIDE!

No, I'm not kidding, baby. We'll be shipping back to the States in a little less than two weeks, where we'll finish out the remainder of our term at MacDill AFB in Tampa. Yup, sweetheart...Florida. We'll be training new recruits on tactical planning before they ship to Afghanistan.

Jesus Christ, love. Do you even know what this means? I'm sure you do... LOL Sorry, I'm just... You have no idea how fucking scared I was that they were about to send us back into Kandahar. They called us for a meeting first thing this morning. Jazz, Em, and I were trying our damnedest to figure out how we were going to tell you girls, but we're not going back.

Sweetheart, we're coming home. Okay, well...not technically home, but I'm getting out of this fucking desert. LOL

We'll be shipping out in a little less than a week, with a stop off in Germany to attend a few classes of our own. Once we leave there, we'll fly straight into MacDill. There will be times I'll be out of contact, baby, but I promise to email or call when I can. And I promise to let you know when we actually ship out.

Fuck, Bella...just knowing I'll be on the same continent as you makes me stupidly fucking happy. I love you so fucking much, and I want you girls to celebrate for us, okay? Like fall down drunk celebrate.

Love you beyond reason,
Edward

~oOo~

3 comments:

Evelyne-raconte said...

WOWWWWW ! That's good news for the lovebirds ! And the 2 chapters before where REALLY HOT !
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful fiction with us.

Canyaceme said...

Now just get them back safely! Love it!

tds88 said...

OMG Thank God for the good news! I can't help my spidey senses tingling that something is going to happen.

Post a Comment