Wednesday, July 4, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 62 - Edward

~oOo~

Ramstein Air Base, Germany... Monday, May 31, 2010 at 7:26 P.M.

"Hey, Sarge!" Emmett called as I ran my fingers over my head where my hair was growing out again. "Go call Bells, and then we'll head out for a beer, okay?"

"Yup, got it," I sighed, my heart aching to talk to my girl.

I didn't give a shit about going out, really, but a beer sounded damn good. We hadn't been able to drink in Afghanistan, so we were going to take advantage of the little bit of freedom Germany allowed us. Plus, after sand and heat and desert, the lush green of Germany was too much to resist.

I made my way down to where we could use the phone, falling into a chair. My fingers couldn't dial Bella quickly enough.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hey, beautiful," I sighed in relief that just the sound of her voice brought to me.

"Hi, babe!" she sang, sounding happy and perfect. "Where are you?"

"We landed here at Ramstein last night, and we had to attend a class first thing this morning," I told her. "We just now had a chance to catch our breaths. How are you feeling, my little hungover girl?" I chuckled.

"Oh," she moaned. "It was awful, Edward. Trust me when I tell you that we had a drink for you, us, and probably people we shouldn't have. I'm better today, but be grateful you didn't see me Saturday."

I laughed and groaned in sympathy for her. "You poor thing. I said celebrate, sweetheart, not give yourself alcohol poisoning."

She giggled. "I know, but we couldn't help it. Just knowing you guys are out of that desert was too much. I don't think I can explain just what you guys getting out there means to us."

"I know, baby. Believe me," I sighed, sinking into my chair. "God, I've missed your voice. I've read your emails, but tell me what I've missed anyway."

"Okay," she snickered before doing just that. She retold everything that she'd done since the last time we'd spoken on the phone – the end of her school year, the happiness at hearing the guys and I were getting out of Afghanistan, drinks, cleaning her classroom, Mike's new attitude toward her, and getting the things I'd sent her.

"Oh, babe, it smelled so good," she chuckled, and I could see her in my mind – the sweet, slow shake of her head with a tinge of blush to her cheeks.

"I don't know how," I laughed, shrugging. "It's not like I wear cologne or anything."

A low moan sounded over the line. "Really? You smell that way naturally?"

Again, I laughed. "I don't know, Bella. Maybe it's my soap or detergent or something. I only slept in the damn thing one time!"

"Well, I want another one!" she chuckled. "I'll send this one back to you when you reach Tampa, and I'll trade you."

"Done, sweetheart," I said with a grin, thinking she could have my entire wardrobe if it made her that damn happy. "Whatever you want. It's yours."

"So how long will you be there, babe?" she asked, and I could hear her shift on the other end of the line.

"Just the week. We've got a few classes to attend because we're taking this new training back with us. They've got to teach us how to teach others. It has something to do with giving us down time, too. We've only just been removed from combat, so they are making sure that we're all...okay. Mentally and physically."

"Another checkup, Sarge?" she asked, but there was a purr to her voice that made me smile.

"Yeah, something like that. More like evaluations. Once we're all cleared and we've finished the class, we'll head out at the end of the week, most likely Friday or Saturday," I explained.

"And then...stateside?"

"Yes, stateside, beautiful," I reassured her. "At least there's only nine hours difference from me to you for now. Soon, it'll only be three. We're narrowing it down."

"Slowly," she muttered, but I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Yeah, slowly, love," I snickered. "Which reminds me... Jasper did some calling around today. We've decided to rent a house in Tampa together off base. It'll be better that way – a little more...normal. We're tired of seeing everyone in their underwear."

The sweet giggle that echoed over the line made me laugh because I knew I'd just left myself wide fucking open.

"Hmm, Sarge... I can't even fathom getting tired of seeing you in your underwear. Can't sympathize, really..." Her false sincerity was too damn funny.

"Hush, you sexy thing. Just imagine ten smelly men at the end of the day, all scratching their asses and farting. Go ahead..." I laughed, my head falling back.

"Nope," she said, popping the last consonant. "Can't get any further than you in your underwear, Edward. Sorry. And I absolutely refuse to think of Emmett's obnoxious sounds. He can be such a pig."

"Yes, well...now you see the problem," I told her. "Emmett times nine. Thank you very much."

"Ew," she scoffed. "No, no, no... I'm not listening...la, la, la."

Chuckling, I just shook my head. "I love you, silly girl."

"Love you, too." She sighed deeply. "You have to go, don't you?"

I grimaced, debating on telling the guys to go without me, but I'd promised all of my men that we'd meet down at the local pub. Hell, I'd rather talk all night with Bella, but a promise was a promise.

"I do, sweetheart. The guys want to go for a beer, and I promised them I'd go. It's the first time in a really long time that we're able to go out," I explained, hoping she wasn't upset.

"Out? Where?"

"There's a local pub not far from base where most of the soldiers go. It's supposed to be pretty good, and most of the village speaks English," I answered, frowning when the other end of the line went really quiet.

"Okay," she conceded softly. "I'll email you tonight so you'll have something for tomorrow. I know you'll be busy this week. Answer when you can?" The last thing she said came across sounding like a question.

"Always, you know that." I frowned, but looked up when I heard my name.

"Sarge! Let's go, man!" Emmett boomed. "Hi, Bellsy!" he practically screamed into the phone in my hand.

"Shut up, Emmett," I snapped, shoving him away. "Bella, I..."

"Gotta go," she finished for me. "Be safe, Edward. Love you."

Before I could say it back, the line went dead.

~oOo~

2 comments:

Evelyne-raconte said...

YESSSS ! They are out of Afghanistan, out of the desert, out of war. Surely, Bella and the girls will make a journey to Tampa for a few days (even a few hours) to see their men. Thank you for the wonderful fiction.

Canyaceme said...

I was thinking the girls needed to be in Tampa when the guys get there. They are out of school and have time to go. Even though the guys will fly into MacDill, they will be able to leave the base at some point. Can't wait until they finally meet.

Post a Comment