Friday, July 13, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 80 - Edward

~oOo~

Tampa... Friday, June 11, 2010 at 9:34 P.M.

E: I need to see your sweet face. Please tell me you can meet me on Skype in twenty minutes? **gives pouty bottom lip**

I shoved the rest of my cheeseburger in my mouth, wadded up my garbage, and exited the truck. Walking into the house, I threw my garbage away and grabbed a beer from the fridge. I was happy as hell that it was fucking Friday, even more that Jasper and Emmett had decided to stop off at a bar for a beer with a few of the guys. I'd bowed out gracefully. Beer I could drink at home; I needed to see my girl.

B: No need for the heavy weapons, Sarge! LOL I'll be there. :)

Chuckling, I walked into my bedroom, practically leaving a trail of dirty clothes from my door to my bathroom. I wanted to shower off the damn week. It had been frustrating, tiring, and just damn long. The recruits were great, learning quickly and listening intently to all that we taught them, but even they were ready for the weekend.

As I stepped under the hot spray, I shook my head at just how little I'd been able to talk to Bella. We'd called and texted more than emailed, but for me, none of it was enough. I just really wanted to hear her voice, but more than that, I wanted to see her beautiful face.

Tugging on a pair of underwear and cargo shorts, I set my laptop on my bed, falling down next to it on my side. It didn't take me long to log onto Skype and hit video call. Soon, the best thing I'd laid eyes on all week popped up on my screen.

"Hey, babe," she sang with a smile.

"Hi, beautiful," I sighed, finally feeling relaxed for the first time in a week. "You are a fan-fucking-tastic sight for sore eyes."

She grinned, but her brow wrinkled adorably. "My poor baby. That bad?"

"Yes," I grumped, shaking my head and leaning it on my hand. "I think I'm too hard on these new guys, Bella. I just... I don't want them to come home in a fucking box. I had too many close calls over there myself...lost too many men. I just... They're so young."

This shit had been bothering me for the last few days. I'd talked about it with the guys, but they felt the same way as I did, that the new guys needed to be pushed hard.

"I'd think you'd have to be hard on them," she mused, tilting that gorgeous head of hers. "I mean, if you're tough on them now, Edward, then they're prepared. Right?"

"I guess," I sighed, grimacing.

"Do they hate you?" she asked.

"A little," I chuckled, shrugging a shoulder.

"Well, then, they're already forming a team. Push them, tell them what it's really like, babe. They need to know," she stated firmly. "I had a professor do that in college. He pushed us until we hated him, but our dislike of him made us work harder together to get our projects perfect."

I smiled, letting out a deep breath. "I've missed you."

She giggled. "Yeah, me, too. I'm liking this wet-look, ab-heaven you've got for me." She raised an eyebrow, biting her bottom lip as she gestured toward the screen. "Thanks, Sarge..."

"Anything for you," I muttered wryly, smirking at her laugh. "What did you do today?"

"I was just now taking a break from an editing project. I was rereading your email," she snorted, rolling her eyes up at me. "Really, babe? Your naughtiest thought was the whole slutty teacher thing? That's seriously lacking in imagination, Edward."

I laughed, my head falling back. "You asked! If you don't want to know, then don't ask, Miss Swan," I told her. "And trust me, sweetheart...nothing was lacking in my little daydream." I raised an eyebrow up at her.

"You so had me with glasses, my hair in a bun, a short skirt, and like lacy-topped stockings, didn't you?" she giggled. "Were you in detention?"

"Yup! Sure was." I grinned and nodded. "I was a very bad boy."

"I just bet you were," she snickered.

I smiled at her, narrowing my eyes. "Are you in my shirt?"

"I am," she answered, looking down at it, only to wrinkle her little nose when she looked back up at me. "Though, it doesn't smell like you anymore," she said sadly.

"I'll send you another one, love. What color? I'll sleep in it tonight," I promised – anything to put the giggle back in her voice.

"I don't care." She smiled beautifully and shrugged. "Surprise me, Edward. I'll trade you. I'll wash this one and send it back."

"Keep it, baby," I snickered, waving it off.

"You can't keep sending me your shirts, babe, because soon, you'll be out. And I can't have my man naked without me there to shoo away the flies," she laughed.

Chuckling, I rolled my eyes. "I'm all yours, my Bella. I don't even see the...flies anymore."

"Still... No need to attract unwanted attention," she huffed dramatically. "As Rose would say... 'Don't make me cut a bitch!'"

I couldn't help but crack the hell up. Fuck, just this short amount of time with her and my entire being was happy. It was as if the tough week had never even happened.

"God, I've missed your smile," she sighed, settling back against the headboard. "Okay, Masen... Time is running short. Are you sure there isn't anything I can get you for your birthday?"

"You." I shrugged. "I don't need anything else, my love. Aren't you baking me a cake?"

"It's a good thing you work out, Edward," she laughed, shaking her head. "You'd explode with all the sweets I send you. And yes, I'll make you a cake. I promise. Nothing else?"

"Nope, sweet girl. If I can't have you, I'll take your baking," I told her honestly.

"Oh, Edward," she sighed, looking sadder than I'd ever seen her. "I promised Charlie... I can't... You know I would if I could..."

"Hey, I know that, sweetheart," I soothed her, shaking my head and wishing like hell I could hold her. "I promise you that I'm not upset about it. Now... Tell me what I've missed this week..."

~oOo~

0 comments:

Post a Comment