Saturday, July 14, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 86 - Edward

~oOo~

Tampa... Friday, June 18, 2010 at 5:40 P.M.

"Come on, Sarge! Let's go," Emmett called from what sounded like the living room.

"Keep your shorts on! Play a damn game or something," I snapped back, rolling my eyes. "Christ, if this shit is for my birthday, at least give me a break and don't rush me," I murmured to myself.

Pulling on my dark blue jeans and a black button-up shirt, I rolled up the sleeves and checked my phone. I hadn't heard from Bella yet, but that didn't mean anything. She was most likely still on the road. I put my shoes on and went into the bathroom to check my hair. It had grown out just a bit. The sides were still pretty short, but my usual unruly locks were never, ever going to be tamed, no matter how many times I ran my hands through it like I was doing right then.

I grabbed my keys, wallet, and phone, opening my bedroom door, only to be hit with loud voices from Emmett and Jasper.

"Hell, no! We're not going to the strip club, Emmett. Don't you remember Rose threatening your testicles the last time?" Jasper asked, his voice sounding exasperated.

I couldn't help but snicker at them as I leaned in the doorway. They fought like brothers, but never fucking held a grudge, no matter how big the argument.

"Let's put it to a vote," Emmett stated with a cheesy as hell grin. "Maybe Ed wants..."

"Oh, no! Don't you bring me in on this," I laughed. "Dinner, drinks...that's it. I happened to be rather attached to my nuts, man."

Jasper chuckled. "Bellsy told you no, didn't she?"

"She didn't have to, but yeah," I snorted, rolling my eyes. "Let's get this over with. Who's driving?"

"You are," Jasper stated, slapping my shoulder on his way by.

He just about reached the front door when my phone alerted to a text. I pulled it out, frowning at the message Bella sent me.

B: Tell me you love me. Tell me that this...US...is real. Please!

"Give me a moment, guys," I muttered, starting to dial.

"Aw, come on, Sarge... I'm fucking starving!" Emmett whined, rubbing his belly. "Just call Bells in the car..."

"I make this call now, or we don't fucking go at all. Got me?" I snapped, because her message worried me.

"Go, Ed," Jasper said softly, pointing down the hall at the same time he elbowed Emmett. "We'll wait."

I hit send on the phone and walked to my bedroom, closing the door.

"Edward!" Bella sobbed.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

"N-Nightmare... I fell asleep and..." She stopped for a second, catching her breath, and my heart broke for her. She sounded utterly shattered. "So just...tell me!"

"Oh, baby, I love you so much," I groaned, sitting down on the edge of my bed. "Please, please don't cry. And of course this is real, my sweet, sweet girl. Whatever your nightmare was about can't change any of that. I'll tell you I love you all day, every day for as long as we live if it'll make you believe it."

"I believe it," she said with a sniffle. "I just...really needed to hear it."

"Trust me, I understand," I said, smiling softly. "Isabella Swan, listen to me. You are the very best thing that's ever happened to me. This part is so hard, but I know it'll be worth it when it's all over. I have faith in that...in you and me. Please, tell me that you do, too."

"Yes," she whispered. "So much, Edward...and that scares me."

"Me, too," I admitted. "I'm absolutely fucking terrified, but I'm also damned excited. I can't wait to see you in person, to finally set eyes on the sweetest, most beautiful person I've ever known. I can't wait to find out all the things that pictures and webcams didn't catch. I want to know if your blush goes as far down as I think it does, because if it hits your bellybutton, I may just lose my mind."

The giggle that finally met my ear made me exhale in relief and grin.

"Bella, where are my dog tags?" I asked her.

"Right here," she said, and I could actually hear the clink of them over the line.

"Good," I huffed dramatically. "If ever you need to know I'm with you, then you hold onto those, beautiful. Do you know what those are used for?"

"Identification?"

"Yes, specifically if someone dies. One stays on the soldier, the other is turned in to the CO to process his death. Our whole lives are on those two little pieces of metal...name, number, religion, blood type. And that's why I sent them to you. I sent you my whole life, Bella. It's yours to keep. So if you ever doubt us again, or if you just need to feel me with you, then you touch those and believe it."

"I love you, Edward," she said softly. "It just really scared me."

"It's not real. We are," I told her.

"I know," she said, and I could hear the smile in her voice now. "I better get going. They...umm...the girls pulled the car over for me to have my minor breakdown."

I chuckled. "Go, love. Let me know when you get to your dad's safely, okay?"

"Okay. Have fun tonight, Edward," she snickered.

"I'll try. Love you."

"Love you, too."

I walked out of my room to see the guys now patiently waiting by the front door. "We can go," I said, pulling out my keys.

"Everything okay?" Jasper asked, frowning up at me.

I nodded, smiling at him. "It is now."

~oOo~

1 comments:

tds88 said...

That is a great way to calm her down and a beautiful metaphor.

Post a Comment