Wednesday, August 1, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 134 - Edward

~oOo~

Seattle... Friday, September 10, 2010 at 2:03 P.M.

"No, no, I'm good," I sighed, glancing over at the GPS. "Tell Rose thank you for checking into the hotel for me and dropping off Bella's things. I'm on my way to the school now."

"Sure thing, Sarge," Emmett chuckled. "If you see my girl, give her a hug and kiss for me, will ya? And tell Bells happy birthday."

Grinning, I said, "No problem. And I will."

I tossed my phone into the driver's seat of the rental car, giving my surroundings a look. In less than a month, it would be my new home, something that sort of hit me the second I'd stepped foot in Sea-Tac Airport. The next time I landed here, I would be permanently where I wanted to be. Home. Somehow, I'd muddled through picking up my rental, checking out the hotel, and programming the school's address into the GPS without jumping up and down like a five-year-old.

Now I fucking understood how Bella must've felt when she flew into Tampa. Although, the sheer, blind faith it had to have taken to do that for the first time must've been staggering for her. I had it fucking easy.

Pulling into the parking lot of the school, I realized I was too early, so I picked up my phone.

E: I'm here.

My tiny munchkin of a co-conspirator texted back instantly, even though she wasn't supposed to have her phone on her.

A: YAY! Go to the office. Mrs. Cope is expecting a surprise visitor for Bella. I couldn't tell her who. Too many listening ears. Go! :D

Snickering at just how excitable Alice could be, I stepped out of the car. Despite the brightness of the day, the cloudy, gray sky was a stark contrast to the sunny weather I'd had to get used to in Florida, not to mention the temperature difference. It was so much cooler here.

I walked into the school's office and stepped up to the reception desk.

"May I help you?" a young, blonde girl asked without looking up from her computer screen. Her fingers flew over the keys until she reached some sort of stopping point, and then she glanced up, freezing like a deer caught in a car's headlights.

"I'm here to see Isabella Swan," I said, smiling in spite of her staring. I didn't have to ask who the girl was because Bella had described her to a tee, but her nameplate on her desk told me I'd guessed right. This was Lauren, the girl that Bella had found Mike kissing in his classroom. "Please," I tacked onto the end.

"Oh, well..." she sputtered, color flushing her cheeks. "School's almost out. You'll have to wa—"

"Goodness!" another voice gushed from behind Lauren. "You must be Bella's surprise that Alice was trying to warn me about. And you absolutely have to be Edward!" A sweet, older woman rushed to the desk, holding out her hand to me. "Shelly Cope. It's nice to meet the man behind all the pretty flowers that show up in my office every now and then."

"Edward Masen," I chuckled, liking the woman instantly. "I've heard a lot about you."

She turned to Lauren. "Get Edward here a pass. We'll show him to Bella's classroom in just a minute." She glanced past me to the glass doors, a wicked expression coming over her face as her eyes zeroed in on two people. "In fact, I know just who will do it."

The door flew open, and a boy around eleven came in, followed by a man about my own age. The boy was wearing baggy jeans, an over-sized polo shirt, and an expression that screamed that he was in trouble for something.

"You're gonna sit in the principal's office until your mother comes to get you, Jason." The older guy had to have been his teacher, which caused me to freeze and my eyes to narrow.

I knew for a fact that the only male teachers were an older man by name of Shaw...and Mike Newton. I took in his appearance – over-gelled hair and a wink and a smarmy smile to Lauren – and finally, his eyes landed on me. The fear that crossed his features was pure and sweet...and not fucking enough.

"Mrs. Cope, would you please call Jason's mother to come pick him up? He'll be serving detention next week for disrupting my class...again," he said, aiming the last word at Jason, who rolled his eyes when he thought none of us were looking.

"Lauren will do it," Mrs. Cope said firmly with a nod of her head. "Mike, on your way back to your class, would you please show Edward here to Bella's classroom?"

Mike's eyes widened as he nodded slowly. "S-Sure. Th-This way," he sputtered, his eyes raking from my boots, up my desert camo cargo pants, to my fatigue shirt, only to finally land on my name and stripes. "M-Mike N-Newton," he said, holding out his hand.

I had to give him props for that show of bravery. When I took his hand, I squeezed just hard enough to grab his attention – though in all reality, I wanted to crush his fucking hand for ever touching my girl, and even more, I wanted to rip it off for hurting her. "Edward Masen...Bella's boyfriend."

"Michael!" Mrs. Cope snapped. "Edward's come a long way. I'm sure he'd like to see his girl. Go! And I'm sure you have a class to finish up for the weekend..."

Mike nodded, let go of my hand, and led us out of the office and down the hallway. He said nothing as we wound through the school, but it didn't go unnoticed that he kept flexing his hand.

He stopped outside classroom number fourteen, turning to me and pointing back over his shoulder. "This one," he murmured, but took a deep breath. "Are you guys here permanently now?"

I smiled, shaking my head at the fact that he was asking about all of us because he was scared to death of Emmett. "Not yet. Three weeks. Then we'll all be home," I said, leaning on the word all.

"I haven't touched her!" he gushed suddenly, his brow breaking out into a sweat. "I've tried to apologize to Bella, but she won't have it."

"Make sure it stays that way, Mike," I sneered, stepping closer to him. My close proximity, my taller stature, and my size made him flinch. "Your loss...my gain." I pointed to Bella's door. "I got this."

He nodded fervently, walked across the hall, and disappeared through another classroom door.

I stepped up to the door, pausing when I could hear Bella's voice.

"Don't forget the bookworm contest this weekend. You guys don't have a lot of homework, so you can catch up. I want to see a few more circles added to our guy on the wall, okay?" she asked them.

Smiling, I knocked on the door.

"Ryan, would you please answer the door?" Bella's voice ordered.

The door swung open to reveal a gangly little kid covered in freckles, sporting short, spiky hair and bright blue eyes.

"Whoa," Ryan breathed, his mouth falling open. "Yo, Miss Swan. I think you're in trouble. The Army's here."

I couldn't help but chuckle at the kid, but even more at how fast Bella's head spun away from her classroom full of kids to see me. She walked to me and Ryan, placing a hand on his shoulder. Fuck me, she was a sight for sore eyes.

"Go sit down," she told him without tearing her gaze from me, which he did immediately. "Edward...what are you doing here?" she whispered, tears filling her eyes, but she was so very aware of about twenty nine-year-olds staring our way.

"Happy birthday, sweet girl," I whispered back, holding up my pinky finger that had a red bow tied around it.

Her hand covered her mouth, and she half-giggled and half-choked back a sob as she pulled the ribbon off. "This isn't exactly where I wanted the bow," she snickered, raising a deadly eyebrow at me.

"That's not the only bow I have," I countered, raising my own and grinning as I dragged my tongue along my bottom lip.

"I can't kiss you yet," she groaned, taking my hand.

"S'okay," I snickered. "I can wait."

She glanced over her shoulder at the clock. "I still have about thirty minutes. If you come in, they'll ask you a billion questions, just simply because you're in uniform."

I laughed, shrugging a shoulder, and gestured into her room. "I can handle it."

"Okay," she chuckled. "I warned you, Sarge." She stepped back, letting me walk in, and I was hyper-aware of several sets of young eyes on me. "Class, this is my friend, Sergeant Masen."

"Hello, Sergeant Masen," they chanted.

"Where's your gun?" Ryan piped up with the first of what turned out to be many, many questions.

"Back at the barracks," I answered. "I couldn't bring it on the plane."

"Do you fight terrorists?"

"I did. Now I train guys to do it."

"Did you drive a tank?"

"No."

"Did you fly fighter jets?"

"No, that's the Navy."

On and on they went, until it felt like a debriefing – or POW torture...I wasn't quite sure which. I was about to start answering with just my name, rank, and serial number, but I was saved by the bell at the same time a little girl asked two more questions in rapid succession.

"Are you Miss Swan's boyfriend? Are you gonna marry her?" a girl up front with dark, curly hair and big hazel eyes asked, blinking up at me as she stood up from her desk.

"Carrie!" Bella barked a laugh. "That's enough questions, guys. Have a nice weekend. See you Monday."

Carrie looked awfully disappointed that she didn't get her answer, so I knelt down in front of her. I knew from several conversations that this was Bella's shy, new-to-Seattle student, so I figured it had taken everything she had to even ask a question, much less two.

"Yes...and yes," I whispered, giving her a wink and smiling when a huge grin spread over her face.

"Good," she whispered back. "She's nice."

"She is," I agreed with a nod, standing back up as the classroom emptied.

"Bye, Miss Swan," she murmured softly, giving her a wave.

"Bye, Carrie. Have fun at the park this weekend," Bella told her as she packed up her things, watching as Carrie left us. Alone.

We both reacted instantly, and Bella was flying into my arms.

"I can't believe you came," she sobbed as I lifted her up off the floor, holding her as close as I could get her, my arms wrapped all the way around her. "I missed you so fucking much!"

I buried my face into the crook of her neck, inhaling the scent that I'd missed with all that I had. "I couldn't not come," I murmured, pressing my lips to her ear. "It's only the weekend, love, but..."

Bella's head snapped up, and she held my face in her hands. "I don't care," she gushed, and suddenly, her mouth was on mine.

God, how I'd missed kissing her. It was desperate and deep, salty and sweet. It was all I'd missed and more. Lips swept over each other, tongues claimed and teased and tasted, remembering, and heavy breaths pushed out against cheeks. By the time she slithered down my front to the floor, it was all I could do not to sprawl her across her desk.

Bella gripped the front of my shirt, gazing up at me. "How long do I get you?"

"Until Sunday afternoon," I whispered against her forehead. "I won't get to be here on your actual birthday, so I'm stealing you away."

"We're not going home?" she asked, and I was already shaking my head no.

"No, not this time, love," I told her soothingly when her face fell a bit, tucking her hair behind her ears. "If I step foot in that house, I'll never leave. I can't go AWOL this close to my term being up." I chuckled before sobering. "Bella, when I come home...I don't want to leave it. Let me spoil you this weekend. Please?"

"But I need—"

I placed my fingers on her lips. "You need nothing. I've arranged everything."

"That's what the girls were up to!" she laughed, shaking her head and wrapping her arms around my neck. "Well, then, Sarge... I guess I'm all yours."

"Good," I growled dramatically into her neck, causing her to squeal into a laugh. "Then you're officially my prisoner."

~oOo~

3 comments:

Evelyne-raconte said...

OH MY ROB ! How I love your fiction, thank you for sharing.

D said...

Ohhhhhhh
Thanks

tds88 said...

Eeeeeee I LOVE it!!!

Post a Comment