Saturday, August 11, 2012 | By: Drotuno

Coming Home Chapter 145 - Bella

~oOo~

From: Bella Swan
To: EAMasen
Date Sent: Wed, Sept 22, 2010 at 1:47 P.M.
Date Received: Wed, Sept 22, 2010 at 4:47 P.M.
Subject: It's here! :)

Hey, babe!

My kids are at gym right now, so I had some time. I called Miss Mary, and she said the boxes all arrived just after noon. She opened the door for the UPS guy and then stood there while he unloaded everything into the living room. She said, and I quote: "I made sure your beautiful house was safe, Isabella. I did not leave that man alone in your home. Handsome man in those cute little brown shorts! If I were sixty years younger..." (By the way, the UPS delivery man? Gotta be like 18 or 19 years old, barely any peach fuzz, and as innocent as the day he was born. She'd have chewed him up & spit him out! LOL) Anyway, I can't wait to unpack them when I get home...unless you want me to wait for you, which I'm more than willing to do! I know that I don't feel like I'm settled in somewhere unless I unpack my stuff myself. If you feel that way, I'm more than happy to wait.

I talked to my dad last night, by the way. He's looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks. We're all going to the shooting range Friday afternoon. Well, maybe not Alice and Rose... Neither of them really have any interest in shooting. Although...they might go just to ogle their husbands. *laugh* Anyway, Charlie said he'll take you guys out fishing early Saturday morning, and then that night is the "rehearsal dinner," which really just consists of him taking everyone out to the Lodge. I tried to convince him to let me cook, but he's insisting. *shrug* Anyway, be prepared. ;) I'm sure he'll grill you while he's got you stuck out on the boat!

Oh! Guess who I ran into earlier? Christopher and his foster mom. She was dropping him off at school, walking in with him so she could speak to the principal, and I happened to be coming back from the office myself. He gave me a hug and said hi before running off to his classroom. He looked so great... All smiles, filled-in cheeks, clean clothes, and a light in his eyes I'd never really seen before. Kim, his foster mom, asked if I had a minute, and since my kids go to music pretty quickly after taking roll and stuff, I told her if she could wait ten minutes or so, I would be free.

Once my kids were gone, we sat and talked. Apparently, his mother hired a lawyer. Christopher's foster dad is a patent lawyer, and he has a colleague in family law, so he recommended him. The guy is working pro bono, too, which is great since she has no money of her own to pay him. Anyway, she's filed for divorce from the son-of-a-bitch husband (who is still in jail) and is going into rehab. Unable to cope with her husband, she'd become addicted to something (Kim didn't say, and I didn't ask). Once she's clean, she wants to start having some visitation with Christopher while he's still living with Kim and Dean, in the hopes that everything will work out to have him back at home after the divorce is final and rehab is complete. Kim said they are totally up to working with her to help ensure everything goes well. Christopher is happy that his mom is taking steps to become a better mother and a happier, healthier person. He misses her.

I'm just so thankful that it's working out so well. I was so worried about him last school year. Cases like that don't always have a happy ending, and so far, this is about the best outcome possible.

I'd better go. I want to get the stuff set up for our next lesson before the kids get back.

I love you, Sarge. Let me know what you want me to do about your stuff, ok?

Yours always,
Bella

~oooOOOooo~

Seattle... Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 3:55 P.M.

I sighed, finally shoving everything I needed for the evening into my bag, and then pulled my phone out. It had been a busy end to the school day, and I hadn't been able to check for anything from Edward. When I saw that I had three messages, I couldn't stop the grin that I was sure spread from ear to ear.

E: Yes, please, sweetheart! If you want to tackle the chore of unpacking my shit, I'm certainly not going to complain. The only thing I need to feel settled when I get to Seattle is you, Bella. Everything else is just stuff.

E: Tell Charlie I'm looking forward to it. **cringe** The guys just informed me he's going to want us up at 5am on Saturday, isn't he? Ah well. My weekends of sleeping in can start the next weekend.

E: That's great about Christopher. His past aside, he sounds like a lucky little boy. I'll write more in an email, but I did want to tell you here how happy I am for you and for him. Love you, sweet girl. I'll talk to you tonight.

Closing my phone, I slid it into my bag, grabbed my keys, and locked my classroom door, heading home.

When I pulled into the drive, I waved at Miss Mary before going inside. Normally, I would have stopped to chat, but I was anxious to get inside, change clothes, and sit down with Edward's boxes. I'd cleared space on my entertainment center and bookshelves for his movies and books, and I planned on setting all the photos aside for him to go through and do what he wanted with him once he was here.

In ten days.

That thought made me laugh, and I danced around the bedroom in nothing but my panties for a moment to whatever random melodies floated through my head. Finally, I pulled out a T-shirt and sleep pants, determined to just chill for the evening, and then headed out to the living room.

Edward had been right. There were four boxes, about two feet on each side, placed in two rows of two. I grabbed one of the ones on top, not quite prepared for how heavy it was, and backed up to the couch, settling the box on the floor in front of me. When I opened it using one of my keys, I wasn't surprised to see that it was packed with books and all the puzzle magazines and such I'd sent him while he was still in Afghanistan. I made quick work of those, putting all the magazines in one of the drawers of the end table and all the books on the shelf in the spare room.

The next was full of CDs and DVDs. They were easy to unload, as well, since everything went on the entertainment center under the TV and stereo.

Edward's clothes, including the suit he'd been in on our date in Tampa, were folded in the third box, along with a note.

Bella,

In case you did make the decision to unpack, these are all clean. I will need to get the suit dry-cleaned since it's not going to be wrinkle-free after packing into the box, but everything else can be put away. There is one plastic bag with a couple of T-shirts in it... Those are clean, but I put them each on for a while before boxing them up so they might still smell like me. If you want to just put them away, that's fine, too, but I wanted to give you the option.

I love you, my Bella.

Edward

He knew me so well... I grabbed that bag from under the note, set it to the side, and then made a few trips back and forth to the bedroom, adding Edward's clothes to my dresser and closet. Luckily my dresser was huge, so we wouldn't need to get him a separate one unless he wanted it.

That left the last box, and for the life of me, I wasn't sure what it might contain. When I opened it, I started laughing and reached over for my phone, hitting the speed dial for Edward without taking my attention from the contents.

"Let me guess," he said in lieu of a proper greeting. "You opened the box."

I giggled and nodded, even though he couldn't see me. Reaching in, I removed the new pink plastic litter box, which was filled to the brim with stuff.

"I did," I told him, pulling out the bags of kitten food and cat litter, setting them on the floor beside the couch. "What in the world did you do?"

Edward laughed, and I could hear the simply joy and happiness in his voice, letting me know he was just as excited and relieved that our time apart was ending soon.

"I didn't want any excuses about why we needed to wait to get a kitten. I think I got everything we'd need, but if you see something I didn't get, we can pick it up later."

I continued pawing through the stuff, finding all sorts of toys, a cat comb, a collar, food and water bowls, and a book on what to expect with a new kitten. He'd even thought to get a little scratching post so the cat had something to use other than our carpet and furniture.

"This is great, Edward," I promised, shaking my head at how silly he'd been.

"Good." He sighed. "We're so damn close now, I can taste it. The guys said their girls got their boxes today, too. Our house is damn empty," he laughed. "Seriously. I have the box for my keyboard ready. I'm going to send it on Monday, though, so I didn't want to put it in there yet. All that's left, really, are clothes for the week, a few books, my laptop, and bathroom stuff. Oh, and Jasper said to tell you that he sent all the stuff we'd bought for the kitchen to Alice, and you ladies can divvy it up how you see fit. We all chipped in on it, but none of us were sure what you each had at home already."

"Mk. I'll check with the girls this weekend and see."

"Good," Edward said, before sighing. "Now, tell me about unpacking all my stuff. Was there room for everything?"

I set all the kitten stuff aside and curled my legs up underneath myself, smiling as I started telling Edward about the books, movies, and other things he'd sent to me.

~oooOOOooo~

Just over an hour later, my stomach growled, letting me know it was time to wrap up the call and make dinner.

"I'd better go," I said with a sigh. "I'm hungry, if the lion in my stomach is any indication, and I still need to look over the math and English papers."

"Sounds...fun," Edward teased, making me chuckle. "I'll email you before bed. I'm going to go out and kill a few zombies or something with the guys. Love you, Bella."

"Love you, too, Sarge. Go beat their asses. They need to be humbled, I'm sure."

Edward snorted. "Every damn day," he agreed. "Good night, beautiful."

"Good night, babe."

I heard the click as Edward hung up the phone just moments before I hit End Call. Smiling, I gathered all the kitten stuff back up and moved the box to the corner, where it could stay until needed. Then I headed to the kitchen to heat up leftover chicken and rice from my dinner the night before.

One more day down... Nine to go.

~oOo~

0 comments:

Post a Comment